Our AGM and initial planning for 2020 was held on 25th. February. Decisions made at our November, 2019 plenary meeting were endorsed, but additionally we decided upon the following……
- Dates for 2020 October 10/11, 17/18, 24/25, 31 and November 1. Age blocking as in previous years may be impacted upon by the holding of a Troupe Weekend (see below). More details later.
- Entries for 2020 will open at 9.00 am. on Friday, 1st. May and will close at 5.00 pm. on Friday, 22nd. May – or earlier if all 96 hours of competition has been allocated. Entries will only be allowed through ‘Stardom’ and NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED!
- Entry Fees for 2020 Regular Solos: $16.00. Duos/Trios: $7.50 per Competitor Entertainment Item: $11.00. Championships: $25.00 Troupes: $35.00 per Troupe. ‘Stardom’ Administration Fee: $10.00
- Troupes Weekend We are approaching participating schools (and others) to register interest in having a dedicated Troupes Weekend on October 10/11. This will impact upon our age-blocking and timing for Championship qualifying, but this strategy seems to have become popular with other comps, enabling more efficient planning for dance schools. We are prepared to give this a “go”. Additional change space may be available at Cranbourne with access to the adjacent gym.
- Dates Change to another time of year This was not able to be facilitated with a congested schedule of regular bookings at Cranbourne Community Theatre, which is still our preferred venue.
- Adjudicators Following up some names and to be advised. Hopefully Adjudicators will be known by the time entries are open.
Operating Loss for 2019 Unfortunately, our event made a loss of approx. $6,700 in 2019. We have a reasonable balance in our operating account, as well as some in Term Deposits (not much interest in the current environment!) and so the loss is not of immediate concern, but we cannot allow this to happen again. The loss was mostly due to the decision to not charge admission and the increased entry fees did not do enough to balance out the lost income. However, we feel the “free” admission was received positively by all and we’d like to continue that as it also had practical spin-offs for the Committee in not needing an additional volunteer at the entry table to take admission money and not having to organise, collate and issue Competitors’ Passes and Season Passes. Consequently, there will need to be a (slight) increase again in solo entries, a larger increase in Championship entry (not increased for 2019) and an increased administration charge. We will review this again after the 2020 event.
Time of Year for 2020 “Casey Comps” Since the meeting reported here, we have been in touch with the Theatre Management at Cranbourne Community Theatre and the move “back” one weekend to avoid using the Cup Day “Long” weekend is not possible without pushing out another group providing performance opportunities for young people. We did not feel comfortable doing so. A suggestion to move our event back to May in 2021 was unable to be taken up in the light of other established comps already operating elsewhere at that time, some involving competitors who support us in October.
Donation to Breast Cancer Network Australia We honoured our commitment to BCNA with a $2,000 Committee donation, plus $553.50 from the two collection tins, $35.00 proceeds from the silent auction of Sheila’s art work and a $50.00 donation on behalf of our penciller, Lanii Douglas. The BCNA have already thankfully acknowledged receipt of our total donation. Thanks everybody!!!
Section organisation, Definitions and Rules It was agreed to continue with the same arrangement of sections and dance styles as in 2019. We will also ensure clear descriptions for “Best All-Rounder” Awards, the “Entertainment” Section and add to our Rules for 2020 a statement to do with expectations of respectful behaviours from competitors and others in attendance. The fee for registering an official protest is to increase to $50.00.
Thanks to “On Stage Media” – 9005-9111 or 0413 571 007. Go to the “Gallery” for pics of our Presentations and Championship winners.
2019 Scholarship Winner: Congratulations to Bethany Whittorn, from Joanne O’Kelly School of Dance, who won our $500.00 Scholarship section on the final night of our 2019 event.